Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Favorites




















Well, I'm overachieving and doing this early..

It's hard to think back to every piece I've done but one that comes to mind is one I made last year of a picture I took in New York. It's a drawing of a bunch of buildings and some of them have interesting signs on them from Broadway shows and what not.
I couldn't decide just one painting that is my favorite so I narrowed it down to three that I really like. One is "The Walk, Woman with a Parasol" by Claude Monet. Another one is "The Cafe Terrace on the Place du Forum, Arles, at Night" by Van Gogh. The last one is "Frank" by Chuck Close.
I chose these pieces because for some reason they all stand out to me in different ways. I chose my particular drawing because it's one that I was fairly proud of and I liked the theme of it because it's more me-ish than some of the others I've done in the past.
My piece really doesn't have much of anything in common with the others at all. Monet does very realistic, pretty, nature-y pictures. Van Gogh does interesting settings with odd shapes and textures, and Chuck close does extremely realistic portraits. Mine is a drawing of New York. Not much in common at all. I suppose it has the most in common with Van Gogh because it is a place rather than a person or landscape or anything like that.
Qualities that make these different are first of all, the medium. I used pencil while the artists I chose used paint. Also, the focus; I did a building while they did people or landscapes.
These pieces relate to my list of 100 things because I love pretty skies and scenery. (Claude Monet) and I love bright and contrasting colors (Cafe Terrace). As far as "Frank" goes, it doesn't have much to do with my list but it's an awesome painting of a cool looking dude.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget to post the picture of your artwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you didn't just choose one and that there all different from each other. I do wish that you had put your pic on.

    ReplyDelete