Saturday, October 24, 2009

One of my categories for the sketchbooks were animals, so, I found some artists that correlate with that. As a matter of fact, the artists are animals. And bugs.

The first artist, to the top left corner is Koopa, the turtle. Paint is set on a canvas for him and he walks all around on the canvas to make interesting works of art which for some reason I didn't post a picture of. His goal is to have one artwork hanging in all fifty states, and then one on all the continents excluding Antarctica. 20% of every purchase from one of Koopa's paintings gets donated to a non-profit organization that cares for sick, injured, and abandoned turtles. So far, he's raised over 10 thousand dollars for these rescue organizations.

The next artist you see, is one of two pigs named
Van Snout and Bottabelli. The pigs owner says their work is comparable to a Jackson Pollock painting for its messy and loose design, and wild mix of colors which you can see on the top right picture. Each of their paintings are sold for 16 pounds and are put towards a fund for their Farm Crisis Network charity.

The last artist, is a man named
Steven Kutcher. He uses moths, beetles, spiders, flies, honey bees, butterflies, grasshoppers, and Hissing Cockroaches from Madagascar. He dips them in paint a little and puts them on canvas to make interesting textured paintings like the two bottom ones up there. He said, “If a bug is sensitive to light, I can influence its movement on the canvas by controlling the lighting. Insects have different footprints and behaviors so I use both my entomological and artistic knowledge to create fine works of art.” and “I use water-based, nontoxic gouache paints which easily wash off. I have to take good care of them. After all, they are artists.”

I could be inspired by these artists by using similar ideas. It never occurred to me that creatures and animals could be used as tools for art. That's the neatest idea in the world. So, who knows, perhaps I will get around to trying something similar.

They don't really do anything that I absolutely would not do in my own art. I guess the most I could say is that I don't particularly care for the whole abstract art thing, but I mean, if it were created by animals then that's a different story.

2 comments:

  1. I also had animals as one of my categories and I think the artwork that you have shown here is great to use for inspiration in future pieces you do =] All of the artwork is colorful and includes ideas from your themes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! These are incredible, I love how you have interpreted the assignment and found pieces that are DONE by one of ur subjects! The pig is reely cute too. I agree that I don't usually go for the modern art/ abstract deal, however, for animals... this is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete